Friday, June 08, 2018

Dealing With It

In the past, I've been asked whether or not I go to a therapist or a counselor and I say no. When I am feeling really down, I do one of two things: write in my journal or turn to Disney.

I used to draw, but that hasn't been enough for a while. I can't express or flush out my feelings in a drawing of a figure or a landscape, but I can verbalize it in a journal entry.

Photo by Alex Perez on Unsplash
And, when my life is really getting heavy, I escape to the Wide World of Disney and forget about my issues and sympathize with a princess who never knew her parents until she escaped from her captor or one that has an unpredictable power that injured her sister or one that works 20+ hours a day to achieve her dream of entrepreneurship. Those are "real" problems, so I forget about me for a minute and dive into the heartfelt stories of mostly fictional characters. You may think this is ignorant or silly, but it is my way to stop my brain from constantly shifting from one idea to the next and just relax, and maybe even sing.

Lately, I have felt a lot of stress and pressure, which comes with the territory of interviewing for a job 1,200 miles away and then getting said job and uprooting my family of four to move an hour away from that job where there are 496 new people to meet and figure out how I can make their job easier while also boosting the reputation of my employer. Then, there was figuring out how to buy a house and support a family of four on one income and enroll my child in an appropriate school knowing that he has had specific needs in the past.

I did not invite you to my pity party, but I have been internalizing a lot of things lately and they make my stomach hurt and keep me awake some nights. So, instead of making myself completely sick or getting super fat by drowning in pints of Rocky Road, I have decided to turn to happiness. I figure that's the healthiest way to deal with things.

After reading one of my countless magazines, I started a journal entry that lists all of the things in my life that I am grateful for. This has helped me realize that my life is rich and I need to stop focusing on what I lack. I smile a little bit more with every list item.

After a meeting with my colleagues, I have also decided to watch TED Talks and read books about what inspires others to get my creative juices flowing. Americans are reading far less books than they have in the past and I personally refuse to be one of the reasons that libraries and bookstores are struggling. Reading is another escape that I enjoy, but variety is the key. Non-fiction for self-motivation. Fantasy for imagination, and romance to urge me to sit up a little straighter.

The escape is key. When I leave work, I don't talk about work unless someone specifically asks. I have to keep that work-life balance and the best way for me to do that is to make sure I leave home at home and work at work, unless there is an emergency that overlaps the two.

My tactics may not work for everyone, but so far, they work for me and I needed something to help me cope with all of the stress and developments occurring in my life. Let me know what you do to chill out or deal with the stress in your life. 

No comments: