Monday, August 30, 2010

30 B4 30 Day 23: Send a Secret to Post Secret

Every person has a secret, and don't lie because you know you do. Personally, I only have a few because I consider myself an open book. I am just a horrible liar and anyone I talk to can tell. When people ask me a question, if I know the answer, I offer it. It is harder to keep up with lies than to just tell the truth. At least one person knows each one of my secrets. There may be more because some of my friends have big mouths, but that is OK because I am comfortable with myself at the ripe old age of 29. Today I chose to Send a Secret to Post Secret and, of course, it was anonymous.

Post Secret is a mail project started by Frank Warren where people send him serious and not so serious private thoughts that he may post to his blog or add to his books. When people send in their postcards, he is free to do with the secrets as he wants. I decided on the secret that I would send in and then found imagery to be paired with the text. (TK even helped me.) I made my anonymous, homemade postcard and I am going to send it tomorrow, in a random mailbox. You can never be too safe...

I believe that a secret should remain a secret and that is why I am not telling you what my postcard looks like or what it says. Sorry. You didn't think I would spill the beans, did you? It wouldn't be a secret anymore if I did. Also, out of respect for some of my friends and family, I have a few secrets in my mental Rolodex that I will be taking to the grave. Their secrets are not my secrets to tell, so I am being responsible with their privacy.

I submitted my own secret because I support what Frank Warren is doing. He created a project and has received a lot of response and interest. It would be very hypocritical of me to not encourage this creative and interesting outlet that he chose to establish online. I can only hope that my blog and my submissions are half as popular as his site is, but, like I said, I am an open book so there are no secrets here.

If I have inspired you to purge yourself of a secret that has been eating away at you for decades or if there is a naughty thought in your mind, send your anonymous homemade postcard, to:

Post Secret
13345 Copper Ridge Rd.
Germantown, MD 20874

It feels kind of nice to let out a secret and send it away. It's like the secret isn't mine anymore. Now it's Frank's to worry about. Enjoy!

No comments: