Monday, August 30, 2010

30 B4 30 Day 22: Sketch in Central Park

Ever since I could remember, I have sat with paper and a pencil and have just drawn. When I was a kid, I wanted to be an artist, a librarian and a background dancer for music videos. I guess I thought I would have a lot of time on my hands as an adult. Since my brother didn't let me play G.I. Joes with him, I sat and sketched images of my family, my house and whatever inanimate objects I could find. In high school, I began to draw portraits of friends and family members and then in college I was formally trained in figure drawing and still life. I haven't created many landscape drawings in all the years I have studied art, but when a friend of mine suggested that I Sketch in Central Park, I thought it would fit perfectly with my 30 B4 30 project.

Mary Kate and I walked into Central Park looking for a large open space with people lounging on the grass and trees hanging around creating shadows. We plopped ourselves down on a bench and I took out my sketchbook and pencil, and began drawing. I tried my hardest to capture the trees, the lamppost, the concrete path, the metal garbage pail and a few people that were enjoying their day in the park. Little did they all know, they were modeling for me. Most of the drawings I have done included a naked person sitting in front of me for three hours in the same pose so I could depict the way their spine curved, their face wrinkled or their leg folded. Today, I can't find anyone willing to take all of their clothes off so I can draw them. It's not something I go around asking people. So, this was a little more difficult because some objects were in motion, even if it was ever so slightly with the wind. And, I had a time constraint of one hour because TK had to be picked up across town. However, I have come across things many times in my travels that I would like to sit and sketch, and this is one of the only times I have actually done it.

As I sat there, Mary Kate and I caught people looking at me and my drawing, and we realized that I was one of those artists that people stand behind to analyze their process. It made me feel like I didn't have to hold on to that little bit of jealousy anymore. I am an artist, even if a paycheck doesn't tell me so. Getting paid to do something can be validation that you have the skills necessary to complete that job, but for me just doing it and coming up with a finished product is validation enough. I don't need anyone to tell me I am an artist, I have a degree, a passion and a talent that tells me so. Sometimes, I just forget that I have this in me because life gets in the way and it is a shame. Creating art allows my true self to come out and express itself, and for that, I am thankful. Maybe one day a paycheck will agree with me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are an incredible woman my niece...god gave you a rare talent that will be seen by all one day..a paycheck will come from it when you least expect it..

Anonymous said...

you really are a wonderful artist mel!
-Colleen

Mel Kue said...

Thank you to the both of you for your support.